God has blessed VDBC. The church was organized in October 1932 in the home of Mr. Stegall. Rev. Albert Stone organized the congregation and directed the building of Koehler Baptist Church in 1936. Rev. W.E. Hardy continued the ministry until Rev. Emory Wilson Callaway was ordained as Pastor in October 1938. Praise the Lord for the hundreds that were saved and baptized in the Smith River. In 1969 the church moved to Valley Drive and became the Valley Drive Baptist Church.
Rev. Callaway continued to minister until 1970 when he suffered a stroke which eventually led to his home going on February 22, 1977. During that time, Rev. J.A. Eggleston served as pastor and honorably directed the construction of the present building. Rev. Eggleston continued until March 31, 1975. Brother David Craig then became pastor, followed by Brother Maynard Plaster from 1976 until September 1978.
Pastor Bobby Rakes assumed the pastor ship on December 10, 1978. Pastor Rakes was saved October 23, 1954 at the Koehler Baptist Church and was baptized by the late Rev. Callaway in the Smith River. Pastor Rakes left Fieldale in 1958 and went to William and Mary College, graduating with a B.S., Virginia Commonwealth University (B.S.) He then moved to Alexandria, Virginia and graduated from Capital Bible Seminary (M.Div., & Th.M.). He was founder and Pastor of Faith Baptist Church for eleven years before accepting the pastorship of his hometown church, Valley Drive.
The Lord has blessed the past 51 years with many souls saved, baptized and added to the church. The parking lot has been paved, expanded, education building built, additional land purchased. Now the Lord has directed and completed the new sanctuary, additional parking lot and upgrade of the old building with a new dinning/fellowship hall – paid in full. New vans have been purchased and we continue to bring people to Jesus. To God be the Glory for the things HE has done. Thank God for each of you. May the Lord continue to guide and direct the ministry of Valley Drive Baptist Church.